Thursday, February 11, 2016

Careful the things you say......... Children will listen

Careful the things you say
Children will listen
Careful the things you do
Children will see and learn
Children may not obey, but children will listen
Children will look to you for which way to turn
To learn what to be
Careful before you say "Listen to me"
Children will listen…..

As I was driving to work this morning, this song came into my head and I couldn’t stop thinking about the main chorus and how true it is.
It has been so remarkable to watch my sweethearts learn and grow and soak up EVERY. LITTLE. THING!
I am not kidding, they are sponges that soak up EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING!!!!
Good and bad.
Listening to my sweethearts talk and watching how they act - surprises me on a daily basis! I am constantly wondering when or how they learned this or that… and I quickly realize that they watch… they listen… and they learn SO FAST!

As I was putting Keller to bed the other night, he started to tell me about heavenly father and Jesus and he proudly told me… “ Mommy, you know what’s so funny, you know that Heavenly father and Jesus don’t have bodies! That’s so interesting- huh!!” I was shocked! I laughed a little bit and he went on to explain that they live on the Sun… but not the moon or stars…which was confusing to me… I figured out that he meant the celestial kingdom… since they used the Sun to represent the celestial kingdom in a primary lesson, it only makes sense that the sun is where heavenly father and Jesus actually live! He then went on to ask me if he had to live on the sun… he doesn’t want to because it is too shiny and it will hurt his eyes- and in his prayers he asked Heavenly father if he could live on the moon- because he really likes the moon! Clearly it all makes sense!! It was innocent and adorable!
It was a short little conversation but I was in awe! How did he remember all that??!? I didn’t know he even listened in his sunbeam class… let alone could remember everything in his own little way!
I couldn’t stop thinking about him and how proud I was of him for listening and learning… but then I thought of the things I say and do- he sees me, he listens. And even Sailor, she is my baby! She is still so little but she learns so fast! She hits when she sees Keller hit- she hugs when she sees others hug… she wants to wear MAKEUP!!! What?!?! They learn so fast… TOO fast!!
Am I saying and doing things that will help my sweethearts grow into the individuals I know they are? The individuals I know they can be?
What do I say and do each day? Would I want my kids to repeat my words and actions?
Not that I am running around being offensive or cussing- but even the little things you guys! Am I talking kind? Am I gossiping? Am I serving others? Am I building others up? Am I living healthy? Teaching them good habits?
I want my sweethearts to know how much I love them ALWAYS!! But also how much I love others! And how by loving and being kind to others, we are closer to our heavenly father!
I know you may laugh and it may sound silly to you- but please ohh please remember that children listen and learn from you… even when you think they’re not.


 Children may not obey, but children will listen
Children will look to you for which way to turn
To learn what to be
Careful before you say "Listen to me"
Children will listen…..


No comments:

Post a Comment